Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A little nest emptying

My youngest moved to Nashville 2 years ago joining her sister who has been there for 8 years.  Today I begin the purge of her bedroom.  It's tough, but it an important part of my summer:  "The Summer of the Purge".

Because I work for the school system, summers are epic.  I can spend all year planning what I will do over the summer.  (I love that I have not had to grow out of this lovely childhood timeline.  Everyone should have the summer off.  It is so cleansing to close out a year at work, take ten weeks off, and start over all fresh and new in the fall.)

Born on a mountaintop in Tennessee, greenest state in the land of the free.
Anyway, back to the purge.

As I took all her photos off the walls and cleaned her books off the shelf, I replaced them with treasures I collected years ago for my husband.

Coonskin cap








My husband had some hard times in his childhood, but one positive memory he often talks about is the Christmas he got his Davy Crockett toys.
Fringe galore!

"Mossakins" aka moccasins



Probably about 10 years ago I started collecting Davy Crockett memorabilia for him.  Now I have a place to put it.



Eyeglass case still has the "Return to" card.



I thought I'd share with you some pictures of this stuff his good memories are made of.
Raised in the woods, so he knew every tree.










 
Awesome Fire King breakfast set
Kilt him a "bar" when he was only three!












Davy, Davy Crockett!  King of the wild frontier!



Happy Father's Day, honey.  You are a blessing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I just adore hearing from you.